Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mac redux?


The cruelest part of my childhood was watching the long slow decline of my hero McEnroe after his magical year in 1984. I became superstitious and jumpy from watching him lose to lesser players. From '86 to '88 I was convinced I was bad luck for him and would not watch him play.


I dread the possibility of having the same experience with Roger in the coming years. I hope it won't happen. Roger is a less tempermental champion, and I am a less tempermental fan. I have high hopes for him next year.

4 comments:

Ariel said...

I could not follow any Vilas-Borg match. I had hopes that this would help Willy to have a comeback against Iceman. Did not work.

Jennifer said...

Um.. I don't seem to remember you boycotting tennis matches back in the day. Is your memory a little foggy Fuzzy?

Anonymous said...

You seem to have a lot to say about tennis. But your superstition on Mac's decline got me wondering what kind of player you were. I'm taking a shot in the dark here. You probably had a weak backhand, no serve to the ad court, and folded under pressure. You preferred to play doubles vs singles, and I'm guessing you returned from the deuce court so your doubles partner could bail you out.

fuzzy said...

I know who you are "Joe."